Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What were you doing 9 years ago?

The evening of May 12th, 1995 my life changed forever, although I didn't know it at the time. (You are probably telling yourself, "That wasn't 9 years ago." Just wait. I'll get there.) I was living in Waco, Texas then, and on that particular night, my friend Amie and I decided to hit the town.

Actually, I had a date. A date that I didn't want to go on. So Amie, being the good friend that she is, helped me out.

I was really dreading going out with this guy and was whining to Amie about it. She suggested a double date and knew the perfect person for her to bring along. So, I called the guy I was to go out with and asked if he would mind if we went on a double date with a friend of mine. He said no......so Amie and her friend met us at a local restaurant.

All of us ended up having a great time that night. Well, almost all of us. My "date" not so much. I think he felt threatened by Amie's friend. He kept trying to control the entire evening.....where we could sit and even who we, more specifically me, could talk to. We, of course, ignored his commands and did whatever we wanted to.

Before we knew it, the evening was over. We said our goodbyes and retreated to our respective homes.

Amie's friend's name was Roman. And when we met that night something just clicked. A couple of evenings later my phone rang......on the other end of the line, I heard Roman's nervous voice. We talked for hours that night and finally, just before we hung up, Roman worked up the courage to ask me out on our first, of many dates.

My original plan was to move back to Nebraska that May, but my meeting Roman postponed that plan for 3 more years. I eventually made the decision to move back to Nebraska and to my surprise Roman followed. I thought he would never leave Texas......you know how Texans are.

So, what were you doing on this day, nine years ago? I was getting ready to marry the man of my dreams. We had a beautiful wedding that we were fortunate enough to share many family and friends who were brave enough to make the trip to Nebraska. And we have had a beautiful marriage to which we have added 4 beautiful and amazing, children. I couldn't imagine taking this journey with anyone else other than my husband.

I love you, Roman......Happy Anniversary!

S

No comments:

Post a Comment